Cryo-SEM Image Galleries
Home Page Image Banner
Captions and Acknowledgements for Images (in order of appearance):
- Elemental mapping: EFTEM image of a semiconductor device captured with GIF Tridiem (model 863). Composite image consists of 6 elemental maps extracted from an EFTEM spectrum image covering 40-700eV energy range in 3eV steps and 3.3 x 3.3 um2 area in 512 x 512 pixels.
- Structural biology: Image of P22 bacteriophages was recorded on a JEM2010F at 200 kV. A Gatan 626 cryo-holder was used to keep specimen at liquid nitrogen temperature. Images were recorded on Gatan 4k x 4k CCD camera with a dose of 25 electrons/Å2. The particle diameter is ~700 Å. The 3D map of the P22 bacteriophage was reconstructed using EMAN software without any symmetry imposed. Image courtesy of Mr. Juan Chang and Professor Wah Chiu in the National Center for Macromolecular Imaging at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas. This work is a collaboration with Professor Wen Jiang at Purdue University, Dr. Peter Weigele and Professor Jonathan King at MIT. The research has been supported by NCRR of NIH (P41RR02250) and Robert Welch Foundation.
- Pathology: Renal biopsy taken with Gatan 791 MultiScan side mount CCD camera at 4000x TEM magnification, showing spiked immune deposits, characteristic of membranous glomerulonephritis. Image courtesy of Kenneth. L. Tiekotter, University of Portland, Portland, Oregon USA.
- Botany: SEM image of Feuille captured with ALTO 2500 cryo-SEM system.
- Geology: Image of zircons recorded with ChromaCL system.
- Virology: Virus phage image taken with Gatan 832 ORIUS SC1000 bottom mount CCD camera at 43,000x TEM magnification. Sample courtesy of Dr. Hans-W. Ackermann, MD, Department of Medical Biology, Laval University, Quebec Canada. Image courtesy of Kenneth L. Tiekotter, University of Portland. Oregon USA.
- Cosmetics: SEM image of lipstick captured with ALTO 2500 cryo-SEM system.
- Ceramics: TEM image of SiC recorded with a bottom mount (1k x1k) fiber-optical coupled CCD camera. TEM magnification 3200x and 120kV.
- Mycology: SEM image of penicillium captured with ALTO 2500 cryo-SEM system.
- Semiconductor: SEM image of a multilayered semiconductor device. Sample was prepared in PECS (polished and etched).
- Nanotechnology: Crystallization of an amorphous carbon nanowire into a tubular structure. Gatan UltraScan 1000 (2k x 2k) CCD camera. Images courtesy of Dr. Jianyu Huang, Sandia National Laboratories, USA.