Australian Capital Territory Research at the Australian National Fabrication Facility
"To offer a state-of-the-art facility and processing capabilities open to all scientists and researchers in Australia and overseas to help realise outstanding research in materials and/or devices requiring sub-micrometre feature size for applications in, though not restricted to, photonics/opto-electronics."
The ANFF ACT is located at the Australian National University. Their facilities are based on photonic/electronic materials growth, processing and fabrication of devices including micro electro mechanical systems (MEMS). These facilities provide a range of capabilities and services for the micro/nanofabrication of photonic and related devices as well as the fabrication of waveguides and photonic crystals.
Optoelectronic devices such as semiconductor lasers, photodetectors and modulators are widely used for communications, data storage, and medical applications. Further, photonic crystals, with their ability to confine light and guide and control its propagation, promise an entire suite of ultra-compact optical devices analogous to those of semiconductor electronics. Hence the node is internationally recognized for supporting both state-of-the-art research and proof-of-concept development for the industry.
ANFF-ACT also enjoys access to two well-known ANU research groups at the Laser Physics Centre and the Department of Electronic Materials Engineering. These groups bring expertise in the capabilities of high energy ion implantation, Si-etching, optical characterisation, and two metal organic chemical vapor deposition (MOCVD) reactors for the growth of III-V compound semiconductor multi- layers based on GaAs, AIGaAs, InGaAs, InP, InGaAsP, InAlGaAs, GaSb, InSb, and InGaAsN. These reactors enable the fabrication nanowires, quantum dots, quantum wells, strained layers, and devices.
- micro/nano fabrication of photonic and related devices
- fabrication of waveguides and photonic crystals
- Micro-electro-mechanical-systems MEMS
- Raith 150 electron beam lithography system for nanostructure fabrication
- RF /DC sputtering system for metal and dielectric multi-layer deposition
- Cluster tool for dry etching and deposition
- Dual beam focused ion beam
- Nano imprint lithography
Please visit the lab's website for more information.
- Yang, J.; Wang, Z.; Wang, F.; Xu, R.; Tao,. J; Zhan,g S.; Qin, Q.; Luther-Davies, B.; Jagadish, C.; Yu, Z.; Lu, Y. Atomically thin optical lenses and gratings. Light: Science & Applications 2016
- Rota, M.B.; Ameruddin, A.S.; H. Aruni Fonseka, H.A.; Gao, Mura, Polimeni, A.; Miriametro, A.; Tan, H.H.; Jagadish, C.; Capizzi, M. Bandgap Energy of Wurtzite InAs Nanowires Nano Letters 2016, 16, 5197-5203
- Peng, K.; Parkinson, P.; Boland, J.L.; Gao, Q.; Wenas, Y.C.; Davies, C.L.; Li, Z.; Fu, L.; Johnston, M.B.; Tan, H.H.; Jagadish, C. Broadband Phase-Sensitive Single InP Nanowire Photoconductive Terahertz Detectors Nano Letters 2016, 16(8), 4925-4931
- Nguyen, H.T.; Rougieux, F.E.; Yan, D.; Wan, Y.; Mokkapati, S.; Martin de Nicolas, S.; Seif, J.P.; De Wolf, S.; Macdonald, D. Characterizing amorphous silicon, silicon nitride, and diffused layers in crystalline siliconsolarcellsusingmicro-photoluminescence spectroscopy Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 145 (3), 2016, 403-411
- Saxena, D.; Jiang, N.; Yuan, X.; Mokkapati, S.; Guo, Y.; Tan, H.H.; Jagadish, C. Design and Room-Temperature Operation of GaAs/AlGaAs Multiple Quantum Well Nanowire Lasers Nano Letters 2016, 16, 5080-5086
- Burgess, T.; Saxena, D.; Mokkapati, S.; Li, A.; Hall, C.R.; Davis, J.A.; Wang, Y.; Smith, L.M.; Fu, L.; Caroff, P.; Tan, H.H.; Jagadish, C. Doping-enhanced radiative efficiency enables lasing in unpassivated GaAs nanowires Nature Communications 2016, 10.1038
- Chen, Y.; Burgess, T.; An, X.; Ma, Yi.; Tan, H.H.; Zou, J.; Ringer, S.P.; Jagadish, C.; Liao, X. Eﬀect of a High Density of Stacking Faults on the Young’s Modulus of GaAs Nanowires Nano Letters 2016
- Khan, A.; Elliman, R.; Corr, C.; Lim, J.J.H.; Forrest, A.; Mummery, P.; Evans, L.M. Effect of rhenium irradiations on the mechanical properties of tungsten for nuclear fusion applications Journal of Nuclear Materials 477, 2016, 42-49
- Peng, J.; Duong, T.; Zhou, X.; Shen, H.; Wu, Y.; Mulmudi, H.K.; Wan, Y.; Zhong, D.; Li, J.; Tsuzuki, T.; Weber, K.J.; Catchpole, K.R.; White, T.P. Efficient Indium-Doped TiOx Electron Transport Layers for High-Performance Perovskite Solar Cells and Perovskite-Silicon Tandems Advanced Energy Materials 2016
- Feng, R.; Kremer, F.; Sprouster, D.J.; Mirzaei, S.; Decoster, S.; Glover, C.J.; Medling, S.A.; Hansen, J.L.; Nylandsted-Larsen, A.; Russo, S.P.; Ridgway, M.C. Electrical and structural properties of In-implanted Si1−xGex alloys Journal of Applied Physics 2016, 119