GIF Quantum® - A Leap in Performance
The GIF Quantum® series represents Gatan's 4th and most advanced generation of post-column energy filters. Redesigned from the ground up, the GIF Quantum® combines advanced dodecapole-based electron optics with a blazing fast CCD camera system to yield an imaging filter that defines the new state-of-the-art in the capture of both highly detailed EELS and EFTEM data sets with maximum throughput.
With the GIF Quantum®, there is no compromise between EFTEM and EELS performance. Gatan’s patented sensor readout architecture (US Patent 5946033, 7157720) allows the same CCD sensor to be used interchangeably as a full-frame high-quality imaging device, a high-speed live viewing device, and an ultra fast spectroscopy device. Aberration correction up to 5th order allows the use of a 1.8x larger 9 mm entrance aperture for EFTEM and a 2x larger 5 mm entrance aperture for energy loss spectroscopy at performance specifications superior to that of the GIF Tridiem®.
Grey: Cu L2,3-edges; Red: O K-edge; Blue: Co L2,3-edges; Green: Ti L2,3-edges; Light Blue: N K-edge. A 520 x 520 EELS spectrum image (2 GB dataset) acquired in 5 minutes at 1000 spectra per second, high-speed EELS acquisition mode. High-energy edges such as the Cu L2,3 at 931 eV can easily be acquired at short exposure times.
The GIF Quantum® comes in several models to optimally couple to the broad range of TEM configurations and applications available today. Whether you have a work-horse LaB6 instrument for capturing elemental maps and contrast enhanced images day after day, an extreme brightness aberration corrected STEM for probing interfaces at the atomic level, or a monochromated system for observing energy transitions at the meV level, there is a GIF Quantum® imaging filter to fit your needs and all those in between. Advanced options such as a 1 µs electrostatic shutter, a 10x faster camera, a 2 keV fast spectrum offset module, and DualEELS™ hardware and software, allow each Quantum model to be tailored to the applications at hand.
|GIF Quantum® Series||Improvement over GIF Tridiem®|
|60 kV minimum operating voltage||20 kV lower|
|0.75% maximum image distortion||2x lower|
|2 keV fast spectrum offset||2x larger|
|2 keV spectroscopy field of view||2x larger|
|30 fps (512 x 512) preview||6x faster|
|5 mm aperture for routine EELS||6¼x higher collection efficiency|
|2.5 mm aperture for high resolution EELS
||6¼x higher collection efficiency|
|1,000 spectra per second||30x faster|
|1 µs electrostatic shutter||50,000x faster|
Key features and specifications
- Large, 9 mm aperture for EFTEM imaging and mapping: 36 µm, diagonal
- Large, 9 mm aperture for energy-filtered diffraction: 150 mRad, full azimuth
- Large, 5 mm spectroscopy aperture for EELS: 6¼x larger than the GIF Tridiem®
- Large energy range EELS: 2048 eV field-of-view in a single spectrum
- Automated exposure control over 8 orders of magnitude (100 s down to 1 µs) allowing the acquisition of images, maps and spectra with unparalleled dynamic range and ease of use.
- 1 MHz 4-port readout for high-quality, full-frame imaging:
16-bit 2048x2048 at 1.25 sec/frame.
- Dual-speed readout for fast, full frame image acquisition:
512x512 at 30 frames/sec (US patent 5946033).
- Cinema mode readout for high-duty cycle, real-time viewing:
512x256 > 45 frames/sec (US patent 7157720).
- Pipeline spectrum readout for STEM spectrum imaging:
1000 spectra/sec at 1x128 binning (US patent 7157720).
- HCR™ fiber optic stack allowing high MTF/high DQE imaging and spectroscopy.
- Integrated and computer controlled STEM detector matched to the 5mm spectroscopy aperture for efficient STEM-EELS spectrum imaging.
- Magnetic prism optimized for 60 – 300 kV operation.
- Dodecapole-based electron optics allows aberration correction up to 5th order in both imaging and spectroscopy modes of operation.
- Excellent isochromaticity over the entire EFTEM field-of-view: max variation no more than ±1 eV at 200 kV.
- 0.75% maximum image distortion.
- 49 hole prism alignment mask enabling extensions to Gatan’s auto tuning software
(US patent 5798524 & 6184524).
- Support for DualEELS™ acquisition (simultaneous low-loss / core-loss).
- Completely new AutoFilter® software suite provides a refined user-interface with integrated automation for unparalleled ease of use and support for powerful new acquisition modes.
Please note: Not all GIF Quantum® models support all features and specification. Please see the individual product datasheets for details.
The GIF Quantum® series imaging filter advantage:
The GIF Quantum® series imaging filters are designed for optimal performance for beam energies from 60 through 300 keV and can be attached to the bottom flange of nearly any modern TEM allowing the formation of high-quality energy filtered images and diffraction patterns, as well as outstanding energy-loss spectral acquisition. The post-column design provides maximum flexibility in the choice of electron beam source (W, LaB6, Schottky, cold-FEG, or monochromated) and imaging optics (objective lens, correctors, TEM and STEM mode). Furthermore, Gatan's exclusive quadrupole projection optics ensure the spectra are always aligned with the detector, can be captured with a broad range of dispersions, and are optimally projected to a rectangular area of the CCD detector to guarantee the best dynamic range, sensitivity and readout speed possible.
The electron optics of GIF Quantum® fully correct focusing aberrations through third order and, in some models, also correct the important fourth and fifth order aberrations. This advancement permits the use of a large 9 mm aperture at the entrance of the spectrometer, giving the GIF Quantum® ER & ERS model imaging filters a field-of-view that is 3.3 times the area of GIF Tridiem model and 9 times the area of the original GIF. Despite this increase in spectrometer field-of-view, advanced aberration correction allows the isochromaticity to remain the same as the GIF Tridiem® resulting in 3.3x increase in the transmissivity. The same advancements in aberration correction and new implementations of Gatan’s patented tuning algorithms, allow the GIF Quantum™ to achieve the best published distortion performance of any commercial energy filter achieving a 0.75% maximum distortion on the detector. Using patented algorithms, the electron optics of the system can be easily auto-tuned to ensure the system is running at peak performance. GIF performance is further optimized by the automatic saving and recalling of fine-tuned settings for each major mode and setting of the TEM imaging column ensuring peak performance in all conditions.
New for the GIF Quantum® series imaging filters is an advanced version 2K x 2K UltraScan® 1000 FT (Frame Transfer) imaging system. Capable of running at both 1MHz and 10MHz, as well as Gatan’s cinema mode and the all new pipeline spectrum mode, this single camera system provides the image quality of the US1000 series camera, the speed and duty cycle of a real-time viewing camera, and amazing 1000 spectra per second EELS performance. With the GIF Quantum® series imaging filters, there is no need to compromise image or spectroscopy speed for image quality: one system does it all.
The GIF Quantum® series imaging filter can be ordered with a choice of scintillators: a 'P'-type aimed at typical analytical TEM applications and a 'U'-type optimized for very low-dose imaging work. The use of the more sensitive U scintillator improves the low-dose DQE of the detector, but reduces the dynamic range of the system so please consider this option carefully.
New Advanced AutoFilter® Suite
The GIF Quantum® series imaging filters are supported via GMS1.9, which is exclusive to the GIF Quantum® series. GMS 1.9 includes a totally new and streamlined AutoFilter® software interface. This new interface handles all of the EELS and EFTEM setup, alignment and acquisition from a single unified user interface. This new interface takes full advantage of the improvements in exposure control and fast camera readout to allow fully automated acquisition of EELS and EFTEM data. Creating fully optimized EFTEM maps is as simple as selecting the field-of-view, focusing the TEM and clicking “Map” in AutoFilter®. The application can automatically determine the optimal binning and exposure for mapping before acquisition, removing this burden from the user. To reduce the effect of image drift in long exposures, a new feature of AutoFilter® for GMS1.9 allows multiple frames at an individual energy can be acquired and then aligned before summing to increase signal-to-noise ratio of the image. EFTEM spectrum imaging (EFTEM-SI) is now accessible from the same palette based interface as the other EFTEM Acquisition modalities. This revamped version of EFTEM-SI makes setting up and acquiring simple EFTEM data stacks a breeze. Once acquired, the data stacks can be analyzed with the full power of Gatan’s Spectrum Imaging and EELS Analysis suite of tools.
The features of smart exposure control are extended to EELS acquisition allowing the operator to shift to all regions of the spectrum without over exposing the detector. During live viewing of the spectrum, the software constantly monitors for over- and under-exposure conditions and adjusts the exposure accordingly. When changing energy offset, the applications predicts the required reduction in exposure needed for that offset and adjusts the exposure accordingly before changing the energy; the live exposure control takes control at that point to ensure the exposure is optimal.
Keeping with Gatan’s philosophy that “the scientist knows best”, automatic features can be overridden with manual inputs, returning full control to the operator. This new level of automation is ideal for multi-user facilities allowing casual operators to achieve the same level of performance as dedicated technicians while at the same time facilitating totally new levels of performance by seasoned researchers.
DualEELS™ Acquisition (Option)
New for the GIF Quantum® series imaging filters is an optional dual energy range EELS (DualEELS™) acquisition package. Building on Gatan’s leadership in STEM-EELS spectrum image acquisition, DualEELS™ allows the operator to acquire two optimized EELS spectra from different energy ranges (typically one core-loss and one low-loss) in rapid succession. By having both the core-loss and the low-loss signal from the identical area of the sample, true quantification can be performed. More importantly, DualEELS™ is fully integrated into Gatan’s spectrum imaging application creating a new standard in data acquisition and quantification.
Advanced AutoFilter® Suite (Option)
New for the GIF Quantum® series imaging filters and AutoFilter® for GMS 1.9 is an optional Advanced AutoFilter Suite. This package includes three tools to unify data acquisition and analysis between EELS and EFTEM and provide new levels of acquisition automation:
- MultiMap™ acquisition is a new tool that allows an entire series of EFTEM elemental maps, thickness maps and/or filtered images to be acquired, analyzed and stored automatically. Settings can be saved, recalled and even used for other acquisition modes to allow consistent data acquisition sample after sample.
- RangeEELS is a tool that allows a broad energy range EELS spectrum to be acquired automatically while optimizing the signal-to-noise of each range. The full range data with no jumps in the noise level provides an ideal sample surveying tool and allows truly quantitative EELS analysis to be automatic.
- Advanced EFTEM-SI allows fully automated EFTEM-SI acquisition from an element centric approach. Simply enter the elements of interest and acquire. The range, camera settings, and exposure are determined automatically.
For complete technical information on the Advanced AutoFilter® Suite, please click here (PDF of datasheet).
GIF Tridiem® 863 Upgrade to Gatan Microscopy Suite® 2
Advanced Support for Imaging Filters and Spectrometers. The software for the GIF Tridiem® 863 has been completely updated in GMS 2. New functionality, improved automation and increased ease of use make for a much smoother and more efficient user experience. In the new software all regular set-up and acquisition functionality is accessible from a new and streamlined AutoFilter® palette, allowing all steps from filter alignment through to final data acquisition to be performed easily.
- Gatan Microscopy Suite® 2: The new GIF Tridiem® user-experience is part of the Gatan Microscopy Suite® (GMS) 2 . This new generation of the GMS 2 supports the Windows 7 operating system and comes in both 32-bit and 64- bit versions. The support of Windows 7 brings with it a modern look-and-feel and the 64-bit version removes the data size limitations inherent in the 32 bit application. It is now possible to acquire very large data sets in (EFTEM) Tomography, Spectrum Imaging and Diffraction Imaging, giving you more freedom to explore and enhancing your research capabilities.
- AutoFilter®: GMS 2 introduces a redesigned AutoFilter® palette which differs from its predecessor both in terms of appearance and also in functionality. The AutoFilter® palette is divided into three functional groups:
- Filter status and control
- Tuning and alignment
- Data acquisition
- AutoMap: EFTEM elemental mapping and EFTEM Spectrum Imaging (EFTEMSI) have been greatly improved by providing auto-exposure & auto-binning for one-click acquisition.The AutoMap functionality includes support for:
- AutoPEELS: The EELS acquisition interface has been completely revised in GMS 2, with the interface based on the popular ENFINA® style UI used in earlier versions of GMS. New features include auto collection-angle determination, predictive auto-exposure, autocorrelation of cumulative spectra and spliced RangeEELS*.
- Advanced AutoFilter® Suite: A new product, Advanced AutoFilter® Suite, is now also available for GIF Tridiem® 863 users. It provides an elemental/sample centric approach to acquiring data and supports automation and reproducibility. This product includes three tools to unify data acquisition and analysis between EELS and EFTEM:
- EFTEM multi-mapping
- Advanced EFTEM-SI
- EELS Range
(*Denotes features that are part of the Advanced Suite.)For complete technical information on the GIF Tridiem® 863 Upgrade to Gatan Microscopy Suite® 2, please click here (PDF of datasheet).
High-Speed Spectrum Imaging (Option)
The new 1000 spectra per second pipelined EELS acquisition mode available for the GIF Quantum® series imaging filters represents new opportunities as well as challenges in data acquisition speed. To meet these challenges, Gatan has developed a spectrum imaging acquisition modality that places the hardware in control of the data acquisition allowing the host computer operating system free to receive data only when it is ready. This new hardware synchronized modality is required to achieve the data rate afforded by the pipelined spectrum readout mode and to ensure data integrity. Spectrum image data can now be acquired at rates up to 1000 spectra per second without dropped spectra, blurred interfaces or variable dwell times per pixel. This option is an upgrade to the standard Model 777 STEMPack® software and supports the advanced features of STEMPack® and the new DualEELS™ mode (when paired with the High-speed spectrum offset module).
2kV High-Speed Spectrum Offset Module (Option)
With advancements in high-brightness electron sources and the study of more and more exotic materials, precise energy offsets beyond 1keV are necessary. Moreover, the availability of Gatan’s DualEELS™ mode and high-speed spectrum imaging require the ability to offset the energy-loss spectrum in the microsecond time frame. The new 2kV high-speed spectrum offset module fulfills these requirements. With a precision offset of up to 2kV and switching times less than 50µs, this new module pushes high-speed DualEELS™ to the maximum readout rate of the detector while adding minimal overhead. In static applications, the 2kV range of the module allows hysteresis free energy offsets beyond the Si-K edge enabling accurate core level shifts to be measured for elements across the periodic table.
Standard System Configurations
The GIF Quantum™ series imaging filters are available three standard configurations:
The GIF QuantumSE® - ideal for efficient filtered imaging and mapping while providing excellent EELS performance. This system comes standard with a 5mm entrance aperture and the performance of Gatan’s US1000FT camera system;
The GIF QuantumER® - the system of choice for STEM EELS acquisition and fast EFTEM mapping from a broad range of electron sources. This system comes standard with a 9mm entrance aperture, STEM detector, electrostatic shutter and the new advanced US1000FT camera system;
The GIF QuantumERS® - the highest energy resolution system available. Suitable only for high-resolution monochromated electron sources. This system comes with the same options as the GIF QuantumER® filter but also includes specialized electronics and components allowing it to break the 100meV barrier.
Please note: Not all GIF Quantum® models support all features and specification. Please see the individual product datasheets for details.
- Fast simultaneous acquisition of low- and core-loss regions in the EELS spectrum from catalyst particles containing the heavy metals Au and Pd using the GIF Quantum®
- The use of MLLS fitting approach to resolve overlapping edges in the EELS spectrum at the atomic level
- Atomic Level EELS Mapping Using High Energy Edges in DualEELS™ Mode
- EELS: A tool for investigating biological materials
- Fast STEM spectrum-imaging using simultaneous EELS and EDS in Gatan Microscopy Suite